Wednesday, July 6, 2011

SEEDS mediator conducts the training for the landlords of Oakland


By:Altynai Myrzabekova

On the 29th of June, Sharon Tom, SEEDS Training Program Manager conducted training for Oakland landlords, teaching them conflict resolution skills for communicating with their tenants. During various exercises participants were facing different conflict situations and had to listen to their opponents, as it is one of the most important concepts of nonviolent conflict resolution. This was one of many trainings hosted by the Oakland Housing Authority on a monthly basis.

According to the organizers, the purpose of this particular workshop was to teach landlords how to deal with angry tenants who come to see them on the regular basis. One of the most important concepts of this training was to explain how to effectively listen to angry people and how to efficiently speak to them. As Sharon commented, finding out the underlying needs of angry tenants is the way to deescalate the anger. “I think that we achieved our purpose, because there were a lot of happy faces and people tend to be very receptive to the exercises. So, I know that they got what they needed out of it. In fact, we are planning to do some additional training for them, because of their need,” Sharon said.

Feedback from participants

“It was excellent. I think if this was out there more, a lot of landlords have an issue listening sometimes, they always think that they know better for the tenants but when you empathize with a tenant, I think they are more open to finding resolutions, because at least you are getting across with their angry. I think it was very valuable. I think I have some of these skills already but it clarified that I was doing the right things and also the paraphrasing also helps or even reusing the right words. Tenants feel that they are being listened too.” – Es Esposo, landlord

“I enjoyed the class, and I really would like to learn more as it is very useful to have phrases in a booklet. I think that prior to have scheduled meetings it will be important for me to bring the phrases and set my mind before going into a meeting. I really enjoyed and I will come to part two for sure.”- Patty Hernandez, property manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment